Out of Highschool, Steven started studying Architecture at the University of Houston. Five years later graduation was nearing, and Steven decided he wasn’t done with his education. He loved designing beautiful spaces, but had discovered a passion for the building process as well. So even before walking across the stage with his Architecture degree, he began the process of getting his Masters Degree in Construction Management.
The perfect team was born; a hairstylist and a designer, both entrepreneurs at heart with a passion of giving other like-minded people the best opportunity to succeed. Their focus was to create an environment unlike any other salon suite. They felt that beauty professionals deserved a Five-Star Standard. Every detail was carefully planned and executed, focussing on the beauty professionals, their clients, and the needs and desires of both. The result was a luxurious environment, perfectly appointed where beauty professionals are proud to operate their own business and where their clients love to come. You notice the difference as soon as you walk through the doors. There’s a positive energy and an entrepreneurial spirit that flows throughout. The tenants know they are appreciated because the owners and managers go above and beyond what any other salon suite property will do.
Blue Lion is Heather and Steven’s first baby. The management and tenants are like family to them, and this is just the first step in their dream. Heather and Steven want to see Blue Lion sweep the nation and become an industry standard in the salon suite business, a Five-Star standard of course.
The Five-Star Standard
Why people love us
Written by Founder and President, Heather Suchma
At a glance, it may seem that the boutique feel of our salons is what sets us apart from the competitors. Or could it be our meticulous attention to detail in the planning and architecture of the suites and common areas that allows us to stand out? Maybe it’s the hospitality measures we are so passionate about? As great as these measures are, they don’t equal success.
Our company is not great because of those things; those things are great because of our company.
Have you ever wondered what makes a business truly successful? The variable that separates the good from the great is CULTURE – it starts at the top and flows through everything we do.
Salon Suites is what we are, but it isn’t who we are. We are in the business of serving others; Salon Suites is simply the vehicle for our servitude.
A remarkable culture doesn’t happen by accident. As President of Blue Lion, I am personally committed to creating, cultivating and teaching our culture to every person on our team. The first step in the interview process for a potential team member is to read the book The Go-Giver, by Bob Burg and John David Mann – this book perfectly explains the values and culture that drive our company.
“It was not the [salon suite] but the person serving [the members and guests] that had vaulted the young [business] to such popularity. Not the [salon] – but the [customer] experience. [She] made [leasing a suite] an unforgettable experience.”
“A bad [salon suite business] tries to give just enough [amenities] and service; both in quantity and quality to justify the money it takes from the customer. A good [salon suite business] strives to give the most quantity and quality for the money it takes. A great [salon suite business] strives to provide a higher quality of [amenities] and service than any amount of money could possibly pay for.”
We know who we are as a company and we know whom we are meant to serve with our product. We are committed to our values and mission. We will never strive to be the easiest, fastest, or cheapest simply to make a sale – we will not pop up on every corner – we will stay true to our exclusivity – we refuse join the race to the bottom.
“We felt that every beauty professional should have the opportunity to work for themselves in a resort style spa atmosphere. It’s hard to find those type of amenities unless you are working for someone.”
How do we compare to the other guys?
There are a handful of other salon suite opportunities out there with an abundant amount of information. Here are a few points to compare and consider.
- We have the lowest initial franchise fees
- We have turn-key salon opening services available – we can take it from A to Z
- This is an Owner absentee business opportunity. The business was created as an investment, not to create a full time job. We wanted to develop an opportunity for our investment to work for us. Of course we encourage a relationship with your manager and tenants, but you have the freedom to show up whenever you’d like! Your trained manager is the face of the company and will handle all of the day-to-day responsibilities. Our franchise team is here to assist both of you with any questions along the way.
- Blue Lion has unbelievable amenities and perks for our tenants and their clientele. We offer more, do more, and in many cases charge less than the other guys. The combination of this leads to happy tenants, higher occupancies, and dollars to the bottom line.
- The CEO, Steven Suchma, holds degrees in Architecture and Construction Management. He personally puts together the initial layouts and design touches, effectively creating an incredibly designed and efficient layout. Based on the information collected from the latest public FDD’s, Blue Lion Salon Studios are opened for the lowest cost per square foot, yield the highest number of revenue generating salons suites, and provide the most amenities to our tenants and their clientele. We convert an average of 60% of the gross leasable area into potential cash flow. 7,000 10,000 square feet would yield approximately 42-60 leasable suites.
- The following information was collected from the latest public FDDs. Some of the “Low Estimated Investment” figures represent 2,000 square foot of space with approximately 10 suites. Blue Lion Salon Studios does not feel a space this small in our business model would be beneficial for either party.
what does it cost to start? what should I expect after that?
- The total investment necessary to begin operation of a BLUE LION SALON STUDIOS Salon Suite Business ranges from $614,069 to $841,515.
- The Initial Franchise Fee for the first location is $30,000 and the Initial Franchisee for each additional location is $25,000 – which is included in the total investment. This takes care of pre-opening support and training for your location.
- Area development agreements are available for a development fee equal to $30,000 for the first Salon Suite Business to be developed plus $12,500 to reserve each additional Salon Suite Business.
- A typical Salon Suite Business is located in or adjacent to an upscale, lifestyle shopping center, and ranges between 7,000 to 10,000 square feet yielding approximately 42-60 leasable suites.
- Royalty Fees: 5.5% on Gross Revenues
- Brand Development Fee Contribution: Up to 1% of Gross Revenues should we require
- Cooperative Advertising: Up to 2% of Gross Revenues should we require
FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE REPRESENTATIONS
The FTC’s Franchise Rule permits a franchisor to provide information about the actual or potential financial performance of its franchised and/or franchisor-owned outlets, if there is a reasonable basis for the information, and if the information is included in the Franchise Disclosure Document. Financial performance information that differs from that included in Item 19 may be given only if: (1) a franchisor provides the actual records of an existing outlet you are considering buying; or (2) a franchisor supplements the information provided in this Item 19, for example, by providing information about possible performance at a particular location or under particular circumstances.
Presented below is historical financial information for the Salon Suite Business operated by our affiliates BLSS 1and BLSS 2. The information in the charts below covers a two-year period of operating history for BLSS 1 since BLSS 1 has been in operation since April 2012, but it only covers a 9-month period of operating history for BLSS 2 since BLSS 2 has only been open since March 2014. Please carefully read all of the information in this Item 19, as well as all of the notes following the charts in conjunction with your review of this historical data.
Note 1. One of our affiliates, BLSS 1, has owned and operated the BLUE LION SALON STUDIOS Salon Suite Business in the urban, upscale, Galleria area of Houston, Texas since April 2012. The Salon Suite Business contains 51 salon suites and is located in a strip mall surrounded by other salons and beauty professional service providers.
Note 2. Payroll Expenses includes salaries for one full-time Property Manager.
Note 3. The other Operating Expense category includes only the following expenditures: advertising, background checks, bank and merchant fees, licenses and permits, computer and internet expenses, janitorial services, meals and entertainment expenses, office supplies, repairs and maintenance, salon décor, salon supplies, security services, telephone costs, and utilities.
Note 4. One of our affiliates, BLSS 2, has owned and operated the BLUE LION SALON STUDIOS Salon Suite Business in a suburban area of Pearland, Texas since March 12, 2014, and as such, this Salon Suite Business has not been in operation for a full fiscal year as of December 31, 2014. The Salon Suite Business contains 46 salon suites and is located in a strip mall surrounded by other salons and beauty professional service providers.
SOME SALON SUITE BUSINESSES HAVE SOLD THIS AMOUNT. YOUR INDIVIDUAL RESULTS MAY DIFFER. THERE IS NO ASSURANCE THAT YOU WILL SELL AS MUCH.
Substantiation of the data used in preparing this financial performance representation will be made available to you upon reasonable request.
Other than the preceding financial performance representation we do not make any financial performance representations. We also do not authorize our employees or representatives to make any such representations either orally or in writing. If you are purchasing an existing outlet, however, we may provide you with the actual records of that outlet. If you receive any other financial performance information or projections of your future income, you should report it to the franchisor’s management by contacting Steven Suchma, Blue Lion Franchise Systems, LLC, 245 Commerce Green Blvd., Suite 230, Sugar Land, Texas 77478; 832-620-2172, the Federal Trade Commission, and the appropriate state regulatory agencies.